Tuesday 13 January 2015

Interview with Jayra Almanzor

Today we have an interview with a talented new author, Jayra Almanzor, who is here to chat about herself, and her new YA science fiction book, Stygian Rift.


Interview with Jayra Almanzor


Why don’t you begin by sharing a little about yourself.

Hello everyone! My name is Jayra Almanzor and I am a writer and student from Canada. Let’s see… where to start? Well, I really like bitter gourd, for one, and window-shopping!


You've written a science fiction novel, Stygian Rift. Can you tell us a bit about the book?

Stygian Rift is a YA novel about a young boy named Robert who one day wakes up in an eerie chamber. He then realizes that this is no ordinary chamber — it’s a monster-filled chamber designed exclusively to get rid of the world’s population.



Why did you decide to write a novel in the science fiction genre? Is there a particular appeal for you?

Nothing but my love for science and current events, I guess. The thought of the world overpopulating (considering how we already have about seven billion people) just gets to me.


You also write in other genres. Do you have a preferred favourite or do you find each genre has its own enjoyable aspects?

Yeah! I write in other genres. I personally just stick to the Young Adult category paired with either fantasy or science fiction. However, as a guilty pleasure sometimes, I also like to write cheesy contemporary romances!


What do you find most challenging about being a writer?

Time management and procrastination. Sometimes, when I’m really inspired, I tend to write thousands of words in an hour. However, when I don’t feel like it but I think I should, I just write like one word in an hour.


What (or who) inspires your writing?

My parents inspire me the most about my writing. They encourage me to keep writing in order to reach my dreams.


You also create digital art. Do you find working in this visual medium enhances your writing? And if so, how?

When I don’t feel like writing, I like drawing and painting my stories’ characters and/or scenes because I think that I’m still “stepping in” to my stories, just in a different medium.


What are some of things you like to do when not writing?

I just watch Youtube videos! Sometimes when my ping isn't that high, I play League of Legends, but as time progresses and I start to lose some time on my hands, I think I’m going to refrain a bit from playing video games.


What’s your next project?

I have finished a fantasy novel a few months back and it’s still on its editing phase.  I guess going through publication and marketing for that book will be my next project!




No comments:

Subscribe Now:

Search This Blog

Powered By Blogger

Monthly Pageviews